Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Here now: Charts and Graphs in Google Spreadsheets


Google has (finally!) added charts and graphs to it's Spreadsheet application. I've been waiting for charts functionality before really "digging in" to the usability of the application, since building charts is such an important follow-through to most of the data collection and analysis I'd be interested in. Today I'll begin to test things out by having my 9th grade Integrated Science students make stacked bar graphs (or other formats, if they make sense) showing the relative proportion of nutrients in some foods that they eat. I've decided that I want to test both the charts and the collaborative functions at the same time, so I'm going to have my students work in groups of four, and each group will be responsible for building a chart representing the data. Rather than sharing six separate files, though, I'm going to use separate sheets for each group, so I can just share the one document with all 24 students. One sheet will provide an example set of data with an example chart (shown), another sheet will hold the class data, and six sheets will be actively used by the groups. Along the way I hope to make sure the students know how to copy & paste data between sheets in a spreadsheet, and that they get some basic instruction and practice on putting formulas into cells.

No comments: